binNotes leaves for Burgundy next Monday…In the meantime, folks have asked for a re-post of binNotes’ post on Bordeaux…’There Will Be Blood…and Wine’…go figure…?
Anyway, yes – ‘Terroirist Tuesdays’ will resume when binNotes returns from France in November…Santé!.
Originally posted on binNotes | a wine blog:
Welcome to another installment of binNotes’ Terroirist Tuesday.
Last Week’s Discussion: Part 1 of 3: Bordeaux’s Classification System.
This week: Part 2 of 3: Bordeaux. A wine region steeped in history. A history steeped in war. Lots of war. But first:
Bordeaux: Some Facts
- Location: SW Quadrant of France
- Name ‘Bordeaux’ derives from the French au bord de l’eau meaning”along the waters”
- “Along the waters” refers to the Gironde estuary and tributaries, the Garonne and the Dordogne rivers
- #1 FrenchWine Producing Region – by volume
- 297,000 acres of vineyards
- 1/4 of all French AOC wine
- Greatest % of Wine Estates in France
- 2 regional UNESCOHeritage sites:
- Largest man-made forest in Europe: Les Landes (2.5M acres)
- Biennial Vinexpo Host – World’s Largest Wine Fair
Bordeaux: Some History
So, about those wars. First the Romans came, saw, conquered, and stayed in Bordeaux. (Pliny mentions Bordeaux’s…
View original 362 more words